Asbestos, what are the dangers?
Are you planning on renovating your home sweet home? If yes, you must be aware about the dangers of the asbestos. For home-owners, it is critically important to be aware of safe management of asbestos in and around their dwelling.
As per the Asbestos surveys, some facts you should know about asbestos.
- Just by looking at the material, you cannot tell whether it contains asbestos.
- In case of doubt, it is advised to assume that you are dealing with "IT". Additionally, take every possible precaution.
- The safest way is to hire professional & well-trained asbestos removal service provider.
- Also, there are specific laws-N-regulations, when it comes to asbestos removal.
Until mid-1980's, asbestos was commonly used in home building material. So, if your home was built or renovated before 1986, it is likely to contain the much talked material. Chemically, it is natural occurring fibrous silicate mineral, which was considered to a versatile material because of the ability to survive high temperatures, erosion, water and fire.
As per the asbestos surveys, it is a potential danger. Why is asbestos fibre or dust harmful for health?
First and foremost, there are safe levels of this material. Well, everyone is aware of the controversial dental amalgam, but safe levels are calculated for everyone. However, when it comes to “Asbestos” respiration, there are no safe levels. Either removing or working with it, proper safety precautions must be observed. Else, you may risk yourself & your loved ones to long-run/semi-permanent health risks. Toxic and super-fine fibres of asbestos can be released, if it is disturbed. And breathing such toxic dust is nothing but an invitation to the toxicity of lung cancer or asbestosis or mesothelioma. Till date, there is no cure or foolproof treatment for mesothelioma, a cancer which occurs along the lining of Lungs. A recent research shows, the rates for this incurable cancer type is expected to rise strongly from 2012 to 2015.
The prolonged exposure to such fibrous dust, increases the danger of contracting asbestos related diseases. For those, who are chain smokers, the risk of lung cancer caused from inhaling these toxic fibres greatly increases. Also, the worst part is symptoms of diseases caused by these toxic fibres do not appear about 20 to 30 years after the first exposure. As calculated by the medical science, the average time b/w the very first exposure and evolving mesothelioma is approximately 45 years.
The 4 main Asbestos Related Diseases are:
- Pleural Disease The soreness and inflammation of the outer lining of lung are called the pleura. The pleura thickens widely, which further restricts breathing.
- Asbestosis Under the influence of this disease, the airway through oxygen is pumped to blood gets inflamed. The lungs become stiff & inelastic, which in turn causes breathing problems.
- Lung Cancer Particularly, for chain smokers prolonged exposure to these toxic fibres increases the risk of lung cancer greatly.
- Mesothelioma This in an incurable cancer, which occurs along the lining of Lungs.
In case you suspect something as asbestos while renovating your place it may be wise to call out an asbestos survey company like Asbestos Survey Projects, who are trained in understanding the impacts of your asbestos problem. ASP can be found here; Asbestos Survey Projects Limited, Patrick House, 5 Maney Corner, Sutton Coldfield B72 1QL, Telephone 0121 362 3402. If you suspect asbestos do not
- Cut or drill it
- Drop it
- Dismantle or scrap it
- Demolish or dump it
- Importantly, do not dump it, hire professional removal services.